Greener Choices offer the following tips on staying cool yet green during the hot summer months :
- Turn on the ceiling fan if you have one instead of the airconditioner. On hot days, you can set the air conditioner at 82 degrees and let the fan do the rest of the cooling.
- Draw the blinds or use drapes to keep the house cool during the day.
- Keep your home properly insulated.
- Save on your energy bill by replacing windows to keep your home cool in the summer and stay warm in the winter.
- Choose the right size of air conditioner for maximum efficiency. Go to Consumer Reports to calculate how much cooling capacity you need.