Of the many household chores to be done, doing the laundry ranks lowest in my list. I do my laundry every two weeks.
Anyway, to put it simply, what can we as ordinary consumers do to wash our clothes the green way? Here are some ideas.
1. Wash on a full load. Don’t wash one sock and one shirt. That will definitely not do.
2. Use cold water. I’ve been washing my clothes with cold water, even those supposed to be washed with hot water. Have I noticed any difference? No. They’re clean and that’s what I was really after in the first place.
3. Use the shortest one rinse cycle. Unless you have a really, REALLY dirty load to wash, which I doubt.
4. Use environmentally-friendly detergent. Think where the detergent actually goes after it’s used to wash your clothes.
5. Use Energy Star clothes washer. Did you know that it’s possible to get rebates and tax incentives for these appliances in some areas?
6. Check out Project Laundry List’s website.