- Playbill Magazine is working with NRDC to enhance their environmental practices, which are already extensive, and will be supporting the initiative by periodically reporting on the “Broadway Goes Green” efforts and regularly printing theatre related eco-tips in Playbill Magazine throughout the year.
- Wicked has reviewed and revised its behind-the-scenes production activity to adopt greener practices.
- Out of 39 Broadway theatres, ten have already replaced their marquee lights with more efficient lighting and an additional 14 conversions are underway. To date, over 10,000 exterior and interior bulbs have already been changed.
- Production shops are offering environmentally preferable materials and are developing plans to recycle or reuse scenery.
- Costumes are being washed in cold water whenever feasible.
- Re-chargeable batteries are used in sound equipment whenever possible.
- Many touring shows are offsetting the carbon emissions from transporting their equipment through investments in renewal energy and have purchased nearly 1,900 tons of offsets through the Touring Green program.
It’s not easy being green, but the first step is the most important step.